On the cover of Van Halen's 1978 eponymous debut album, Eddie Van Halen thrusts his black-and-white striped instrument towards the camera as if he's showing you the future. He played this guitar on his unprecedented and mind-blowing instrumental track "Eruption", hence its nickname, and almost immediately, this monumental instrument became a timeless icon, symbolic of a paradigm shift in guitar-driven rock and roll.
While many a fan has attempted to duplicate his guitar over the past 40 years, for the first time ever, EVH Gear has recreated Eddie Van Halen's hand-built axe right down to every nick and scratch, as well as his period-correct case and case candy items.
Limited to only 30 guitars worldwide, the '78 Eruption Relic model features all of the original specs including an ash Strat body, bolt-on maple neck with oiled back finish, straight 12" radius maple fingerboard with katalox face dots, black side dots and 21 mowed-down jumbo frets, hand-cut black pickguard, EVH Frankenstein humbucking bridge pickup, vintage Fender Stratocaster bridge with a Kluson brass block and Schaller tuning keys. Its white-with-black stripes motif paint job has been reliced to match the wear and tear from the band's first-ever world tour, and is stylishly finished off with distressed eye-screw strap hooks and a 61071 stamped neck plate.
In a true homage to this pivotal period, EVH has also recreated Eddie Van Halen's original G&G case (with reliced handle and latches) and loaded it up with the very items used by him at the time, such as '70s-era Fender Super Bullets strings, Van Halen '70s tortoiseshell picks, '78 chain strap and 3-in-One oil can. This model is also accompanied by an exclusive collector's booklet, a backstage pass vinyl cloth sticker, 8"x10" 1978 concert photo of Eddie Van Halen, signed certificate of authenticity and an autographed vinyl copy of Van Halen.
- Limited to only 30 pieces worldwide
- 25.5" scale length
- Ash Strat body
- Bolt-on maple neck with oiled back finis
- Straight 12" radius maple fingerboard with katalox dots and black side dots
- 21 ,owed-down (fretless wonder) jumbo frets
- Hand-cut black pickguard
- EVH Frankenstein humbucking bridge pickup
- Vintage Fender Stratocaster bridge with a Kluson brass block
- Eye-screw strap hooks
- Schaller tuning keys
- Reliced white-with-black stripes hand-painted lacquer finish
- 61071 Stamped Neck Plate
- Autographed Van Halen vinyl
- Custom-made period correct G&G case with reliced handle and latches
- Exclusive Eruption Collector's Booklet
- '78 chain strap
- 3-in-One oil can
- Signed Certificate of Authenticity
- Two packs of '70s-era Fender Super Bullets strings in recreated packaging
- Van Halen '70s tortoiseshell picks
- Backstage Pass vinyl cloth sticker on the case plus one unused sticker inside
- 8"x10" 1978 concert photo of Eddie Van Halen